[CLUE-Tech] OT: Someone "borrowed" my domain name

charlie oriez coriez at oriez.org
Mon Oct 7 17:52:10 MDT 2002

On Monday 07 October 2002 02:28 pm, you wrote:
> Aargh!
>
> It seems someone pretending to be
>
>   "Phil Klein <phil-klein at havenrock.com>"
>
> has been sending an e-mail virus to various and sundry people on the
> Net. I know this because, as the owner of havenrock.com, I get all mail
> for unknown recipients in the domain. So I've got a pile of bounces and
> a few complaints. As far as I can tell, the only connection to me is the
> From: header with my domain name--according to the headers in the
> bounced messages, all of them originated from a single IP address in the
> Netherlands and didn't pass through either my own machine or my ISP's
> mail server (do bounces include all headers from the original message?).
>
> So I don't think I have a security issue. But obviously I don't like
> someone using my domain name this way (well, at least they didn't
> pretend to be <mgushee at havenrock.com>!). Is there a law against that? If
> so, is there a way to get it enforced?

one of the viruses that grabs the sender's email address book for targets
also uses one of the addresses in it as a forged from address.  I suppose
doing a mix and match on uid and domain was the next "logical" step.

Since it went thru a Dutch server, a complaint to the Dutch data protection
commissioner (Peter Hustinx)  might get you somewhere, though it probably
isnt worth the effort.  More than likely the Dutch server is an open relay.
Reporting them to ORDB would probably be more satisfying and actually
accomplish something useful.  <http://www.ordb.org>

charles oriez          coriez at oriez.org
39  34' 34.4"N / 105 00' 06.3"W
**
Voodoo Programming: Things programmers do that  they  know  shouldn't
work  but they try anyway, and which sometimes actually work, such as
recompiling everything.                             - Karl Lehenbauer