[CLUE-Tech] Gnome Trouble and Projector question

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Mon Oct 7 18:40:09 MDT 2002

On 07 Oct 2002 18:13:33 -0600
David Willson <DLWillson at TheGeek.NU> wrote:

> <<A far-more-readable version of the below message is attached. 5.9KB>>

Uh, nope, in an e-mail client, a StarOffice doc isn't more readable, and
takes more bandwidth to send/recieve as well. ;-)

> I think you don't have to muss up your FVWM config.  I do this on

Thanks for the thought, but the XF86Config isn't my problem. I already
just put in another ServerLayout section, with settings for 1024x768, so
when I start up my X server, I just use the switch '-layout clue'. No
fiddling around with switching things around or commenting them out.

The problem is that my highly-customized desktop configuration is "wrongly
sized" if that's a way to put it, to be usable at lower resolutions. Fvwm
is a great WM, but it doesn't adapt well to on-the-fly root-window size
changes - or even not on-the-fly. Things like my rxvt size, and my
fvwmbuttons panel are fixed size. At lower resolutions, they don't fit on
the screen, and so are clipped.

I thought I could just save myself some trouble, since I don't need all my
usual stuff, by just running Gnome on a vanilla user account. I still can
actually, it's just a pain to get rid of the auto-restarting
panel-with-crash-dialog. After all, all I need for the presentation is
Galeon and an xterm of any sort. But I would like to figure out why the
Gnome panel is crashing. I have remembered that since the last time I was
fiddling with Gnome, I installed/removed OpenOffice (found various
OpenOffice gunk spewed in the .gnome/ directory), and also AbiWord (same
gunk effect, just less of it).

Later,
jed
--
We're frogs who are getting boiled in a pot full of single-character
morphemes, and we don't notice. - Larry Wall; Perl6, Apocalypse 5