[CLUE-Tech] problems with mdk 9.0

Jef Barnhart jef at batky-howell.com
Fri Oct 11 09:03:14 MDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-10-10 at 22:31, David Anselmi wrote:
> Don Johnson wrote:
> > I just did a complete install of mandrake 9.0 and have a couple of problems.
> >
> > 1. I configured my eth0 for dchp at install. I have att cable internet.
> > dhcp times ourt wating for a valid response. any thouhts?
>
> I was hoping the ATT gurus would speak up.  I assume this box plugs into
> the modem and gets dhcp from ATT.  You might have to add a -h to the
> dhcp command with your ATT supplied name.  Don't know if that's close,
> but I've seen it posted before.

With the ATT cable you no longer need the -h option. In the past used
that for authentication for the dhcp server, hostname-a hostname-b and
so on. Now they just dole out ips. You can also just name your box what
ever you care to.

One thing to try is turning off the cable modem by unpluging it from the
wall. It seems that the cable modem does not turn off when you use the
button. They tend to remember stuff and won't give you a new ip.I have
an RCA and had to go through same thing.

Jef