[CLUE-Tech] Red Hat 7.3 question

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Fri Oct 11 19:44:08 MDT 2002

Mike Staver wrote:
> Right - I do visit the Red Hat update page quite often, and I think I
> may have found the problem.  I thought I had openssl up to date, but it
> appears I was mistaken.  I had:
>
> openssl-0.9.6b-18
>
> The current version with bug fixes is:
>
> openssl-0.9.6b-28

I'd only recently realized that distros worked this way--using SuSE and
trying to find a later version to fix bugs.  Debian (testing) gets you
the real deal when you upgrade.

I wonder how much effort it is to maintain your own patches and whether
it is easier to test your patches than to test the latest version of the
package.