[CLUE-Tech] Red Hat 7.3 question

Adam A. G. Shamblin signal9 at earthlink.net
Fri Oct 11 22:08:38 MDT 2002

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002 19:44:08 -0600
David Anselmi <anselmi at americanisp.net> wrote:

> Mike Staver wrote:
> > Right - I do visit the Red Hat update page quite often, and I think I
> > may have found the problem.  I thought I had openssl up to date, but it
> > appears I was mistaken.  I had:
> >
> > openssl-0.9.6b-18
> >
> > The current version with bug fixes is:
> >
> > openssl-0.9.6b-28
>
> I'd only recently realized that distros worked this way--using SuSE and
> trying to find a later version to fix bugs.  Debian (testing) gets you
> the real deal when you upgrade.
>
> I wonder how much effort it is to maintain your own patches and whether
> it is easier to test your patches than to test the latest version of the
> package.
>
> Dave

There's a lot to be said for maintaining your own patches and compiling your own code.  Be it an RPM, or a Debian package - whatever - the source will always be available before a package has been released.  Besides, that's quite a bit of trust to lend to package builder, who generally is just another hacker like you or me.

--
Adam A. G. Shamblin	<signal9 at earthlink.net>

And they shall beat their swords into plowshares,
for if you hit a man with a plowshare,
he's going to know he's been hit.