[CLUE-Tech] Building Kernel w/Debian

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Sun Oct 13 13:52:43 MDT 2002

* Randy Arabie (rrarabie at arabie.org) wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Oct 2002, Matt Gushee wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Oct 13, 2002 at 09:56:38AM -0600, Randy Arabie wrote:
> > >
> > > Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
> > >   libc6-dev: Depends: libc6 (= 2.2.5-6) but 2.2.5-11.2 is to be installed
> > > E: Sorry, broken packages
> > >
> > > I have libc6 version 2.2.5-11.2 installed, but libc6 depends on 2.2.5-6.  So what
> > > to do?
> >
> > How did you manage to get libc6-2.2.5-11.2? Did you deliberately install
> > it for some reason? According to the package database at www.debian.org,
> > 2.2.5-6 is the current version for Woody (stable), and 2.2.5-14.3 and
> > 2.2.5-15, respectively, are the current versions for testing and
> > unstable.
>
> I don't know.  I used dselect to install my base system from the woody disc1,
> which I built using the jigado(sp?) "thingy" recommended on the debian site.

With all due respect, this is silly.  dselect is as much a 'black-box'
as apt.  They are both just front-ends for dpkg.  They merely amount to
different interfaces, in practice.  Use which ever one suits your fancy.

> >From there, I have been using apt-get to install subsequent things
> >like my
> window manager, abiword, mozilla, etc.
>
> I have apt-get configured for "stable", so I shouldn't be getting
> anything from testing or unstable!
>
> I'm trying to figure out how to back out of this problem.  When I use
> dselect, libc6 2.2.5-11.2 is listed in my Req base section!  libc6
> 2.2.5-6 is not available for me through dselect.
>
> This is my first experience with debain, and I would like it to be a
> good one.  I'm not that familiar with the debain package management
> system, so I don't know how to resolve problems like this.
>
> Can I just force an uninstall of the libc6-2.2.5-11.2 package then
> install the libc6-2.2.5-6 version?  I have not compiled anything
> (obviously, since I don't have the basic headers!), so it seems this
> would be possible.  I suppose dselect won't just let me uninstall
> something as fundemental as libc6....in fact, would anything work
> afterwards if I were to do that?  Can I manually download the
> libc6-2.2.5-6 package and force install if *over* the newer version?

> Also, should I be doing a bug report on this?  At this point, I don't
> feel like I have enough information to provide usefull feedback,
> except to say that the version of libc6 I have is listed as a required
> base package.

I am have a really hard time figuring out how the heck you got into this
situation.  Are you sure all of your lines in /etc/apt/sources.list
point to Stable?  There are no other terms in there (like unstalbe,
woody, sid, etc...).  Resolving these kind of problems can be a serious
PITA.  But in my 3 years of using Debian, I have never had one of these
issues with Stable, it has always been with Unstable.  You would need to
resort to using dpkg, withe --force-* options.  But be very carefull.
Have you invested so much that you can't start over?  It really sounds
like somehow your distribution got switched to Unstable.

Tim