[CLUE-Tech] How to make Linux recognize IDE tape drive?

David Guntner davidg at akaMail.com
Mon Oct 14 01:44:27 MDT 2002

Hello,

I'm hoping that someone here can help me with this.

I'm running Mandrake Linux 9.0 (kernel 2.4.19), and have installed an old
Seagate TR-4 IDE tape drive in the slave position (CD-ROM is in the master
position on the cable) on the second IDE controller.

Mandrake has a hardware detector utility, which tells me that it see the
tape drive on /dev/hdd.  Unfortunately, doing a "ls -la /dev/hdd" results
in a "file not found" error....

I'd like to be able to use this tape drive to do backups of my system.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to get my system to recognize that I have
a tape drive, from a practical standpoint (I.E., so that backup software
can use it)?

Any help would be appreciated!

                --Dave
--