[CLUE-Tech] Building Kernel w/Debian

Randy Arabie rrarabie at arabie.org
Mon Oct 14 22:08:30 MDT 2002

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, Match Grun wrote:

> Randy,
>
> It seems that your /etc/inittab is setup to start xdm on your chosen
> run level. You might want to modify your boot menu (either Lilo or
> Grub) to have an X startup as well as a Text startup. This is useful
> if you like to spend lots of time rebuilding kernels or tweaking
> X-servers.

I don't like to "spend lots of time rebuilding".  But it seems I am.
Rather, I'm spending lots of time installing a distro.  xdm wasn't
really the problem.  It was really just my system being all hosed with
an bad libc6....I think.

The bottom line is I'm reinstalling everything...agian.

I did discover something possibly useful.  After logging in xdm calls
/etc/X11/bin/Xsession which in turn calls /etc/defaults/x-window-manager.
In my case, since I was using xfce (which uses twm) the x-window-manager
mentioned above was a symbolic link to twn.  I replaced that with a link
to xfce, and voilla --- xfce was started upon my login via xdm.

That was niffty, but my system still had major problems.  So, I'm
reinstalling.

Thanks Match.
--
Allons Rouler!