[CLUE-Tech] Building Kernel w/Debian

Match Grun match at dimensional.com
Mon Oct 14 21:55:04 MDT 2002

Randy,

It seems that your /etc/inittab is setup to start xdm on your chosen
run level. You might want to modify your boot menu (either Lilo or
Grub) to have an X startup as well as a Text startup. This is useful
if you like to spend lots of time rebuilding kernels or tweaking
X-servers.

These menu items would start the kernel at run levels 3 or 5, or
whatever is appropriate for the distro. You could make the default use
whatever is set in inittab, make the other one set a different run
level.

lilo.conf:

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14  3

grub.conf:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.17 ro root=/dev/hda1  3

Also both boot loaders can be used to specify the run level when
selected from the menu.

Match