[CLUE-Tech] Building Kernel w/Debian

Randy Arabie rrarabie at arabie.org
Tue Oct 15 20:05:21 MDT 2002

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, Matt Gushee wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 09:55:04PM -0600, Match Grun wrote:
> >
> > It seems that your /etc/inittab is setup to start xdm on your chosen
> > run level.
>
> Actually, Debian doesn't do it that way. After learning Red Hat's
> inittab setup, I was quite puzzled to find that under Debian, xdm would
> start even though there was no reference to it in /etc/inittab. Turns
> out that Debian uses /etc/rc*.d/S99xdm .

Well, I've got the box back up with a custom 2.4.18 kernel.  All things seem
be going well, now.

Thanks again for the help.

I may have some questions regarding dhcp on debian.  While I set it up in the
install, it is not grabbing an ip on reboot.  I've got some RTFM to do first,
before I pose a question.
--
Allons Rouler!

Randy