dhcp on debian (was: [CLUE-Tech] Building Kernel w/Debian)

Randy Arabie rrarabie at arabie.org
Thu Oct 17 13:08:08 MDT 2002

On Wednesday, 16 October 2002 at  6:48:25 -0600, Randy Arabie wrote:

> Hopefully I'll have time to do some troubleshooting tonight.  First I've got
> to work my way through the my network config on the host, then if I don't find
> the problem there I'll have to rummage through the logs on the dhcp server and
> perhaps set up a sniffer to watch the traffic.

I found some errors in my /var/log/daemon.log file from the dhclient daemon,
they looked like this:

Oct 16 20:10:37 potter dhclient-2.2.x: socket: Protocol not available - make sure
CONFIG_PACKET and CONFIG_FILTER are defined in your kernel configuration!

I checked my kernel config, and sure enough, I don't have CONFIG_FILTER enabled.
I thought that was strictly related to ipfiltering, ipnat, etc. so I didn't
enable it.

Guess I'll recompile w/ CONFIG_FILTER enabled and see if that fixes my dhcp
problem.
--
Allons Rouler!

Randy