[CLUE-Tech] smtp w/exim on debian

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Thu Oct 17 20:04:23 MDT 2002

* Randy Arabie (rrarabie at arabie.org) wrote:
> Reply to:
>
> I'm planning on moving my email server from my old RH box to my
> debian box.  Debian installs exim as the MTA by default.  So, I've
> been working on the config.  It is much more simpler than tring to
> config sendmail.  But, it is 'new' to me.
>
> This morning, I switched my ipnat config and started sending the smtp
> ports to my debian box instead of the RH box.  I sent some test messages
> from my yahoo account that neither bounced nor arrived (at least not yet,
> 4 hours later).
>
> To check, I sent another email from my RH box and it did arrive.  I also
> sent email from the debian box to my yahoo account.  That worked, too.
>
> Next I did a telnet to port 25, from outside my domain (i.e. through my
> firewall) and was able to hit the debian box on port 25.
>
> I'm stumped.  I've switched my inbound smtp ports back to my RH box, and
> have .forward files sending the email over to my debian box.
>
> Anyone have a clue on this?  Where did those email messages go?  Or, why
> didn't the mail get through?  I couldn't find any errors in my mail.* logs.
> --

In my experience, Exim never throws mail away.  If it made it to your
machine, it is somewhere under var.  There will be really oddly named
files in /var/spool/mail/exim/db.  The files ending in D are data, the
files ending in H are headers, and together make one message.  If you
have stuff sitting in there, something is goofy with your setup.

Try reading the messages and see if there is any insight, and also take
a look in /var/exim/paniclog or rejectlog or mainlog.  (I *think* it
is called paniclog, but maybe error, I don't have one currently).  If
you can figure out the error, you can 'thaw' the messages and get them
to deliver.

Tim