[CLUE-Tech] smtp w/exim on debian

Randy Arabie randy at arabie.org
Thu Oct 17 21:22:21 MDT 2002

On Thursday, 17 October 2002 at 20:04:23 -0600, Timothy C. Klein wrote:
> * Randy Arabie (rrarabie at arabie.org) wrote:
> > Reply to:
> >
> > I'm planning on moving my email server from my old RH box to my
> > debian box.  Debian installs exim as the MTA by default.  So, I've
> > been working on the config.  It is much more simpler than tring to
> > config sendmail.  But, it is 'new' to me.
> >
> > This morning, I switched my ipnat config and started sending the smtp
> > ports to my debian box instead of the RH box.  I sent some test messages
> > from my yahoo account that neither bounced nor arrived (at least not yet,
> > 4 hours later).
> >
> > To check, I sent another email from my RH box and it did arrive.  I also
> > sent email from the debian box to my yahoo account.  That worked, too.
> >
> > Next I did a telnet to port 25, from outside my domain (i.e. through my
> > firewall) and was able to hit the debian box on port 25.
> >
> > I'm stumped.  I've switched my inbound smtp ports back to my RH box, and
> > have .forward files sending the email over to my debian box.
> >
> > Anyone have a clue on this?  Where did those email messages go?  Or, why
> > didn't the mail get through?  I couldn't find any errors in my mail.* logs.
> > --
>
> In my experience, Exim never throws mail away.  If it made it to your
> machine, it is somewhere under var.  There will be really oddly named
> files in /var/spool/mail/exim/db.  The files ending in D are data, the
> files ending in H are headers, and together make one message.  If you
> have stuff sitting in there, something is goofy with your setup.

I have no D or H files in my /var/spool/mail/exim/db directory.  The is
a file (20kb) called retry.  It is a Berkeley DB (Hash, version 5, native
byte-order) file, which I don't know how to 'view'.

Ahhh.   I just found the D and H files under /var/spool/mail/exim/input.
I suppose before I go too far into this I'm gonna do some reading to see
what these different directories are for.  Thanks for the Clues, Tim.

> Try reading the messages and see if there is any insight, and also take
> a look in /var/exim/paniclog or rejectlog or mainlog.  (I *think* it
> is called paniclog, but maybe error, I don't have one currently).  If
> you can figure out the error, you can 'thaw' the messages and get them
> to deliver.
>
> Tim
> --

Allons Rouler!