[CLUE-Tech] smtp w/exim on debian

Randy Arabie randy at arabie.org
Tue Oct 22 17:24:24 MDT 2002

On Thursday, 17 October 2002 at 20:04:23 -0600, Timothy C. Klein wrote:

	<-----snip----->

> > In my experience, Exim never throws mail away.  If it made it to your
> > machine, it is somewhere under var.  There will be really oddly named
> > files in /var/spool/mail/exim/db.  The files ending in D are data, the
> > files ending in H are headers, and together make one message.  If you
> > have stuff sitting in there, something is goofy with your setup.
>
> I have no D or H files in my /var/spool/mail/exim/db directory.  The is
> a file (20kb) called retry.  It is a Berkeley DB (Hash, version 5, native
> byte-order) file, which I don't know how to 'view'.
>
> Ahhh.   I just found the D and H files under /var/spool/mail/exim/input.
> I suppose before I go too far into this I'm gonna do some reading to see
> what these different directories are for.  Thanks for the Clues, Tim.
>
> > Try reading the messages and see if there is any insight, and also take
> > a look in /var/exim/paniclog or rejectlog or mainlog.  (I *think* it
> > is called paniclog, but maybe error, I don't have one currently).  If
> > you can figure out the error, you can 'thaw' the messages and get them
> > to deliver.

I've resolved the problem(s).  There were two.  1) My local_domains in my
exim.conf file was not set properly.  I had left the default 'localhost'
in and added my other aliases behind that.  After removing 'localhost' my
messages were no longer frozen due to that...but were frozen because of
another problem.  2) I had a DNS config problem.  I had to fix a reverse
lookup problem in my DNS config.  A typo, I guess sendmail didn't have
a problem with that, but exim did.

Mail is now running ok on my debian box w/ exim, so I think I'll be retiring
my RH box that was handling this function w/ sendmail.  Good thing, too.  The
noisy fan in the power supply is just driving me NUTS!
--
Allons Rouler!

Randy
http://www.arabie.org/