[CLUE-Tech] Home network question

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Thu Oct 17 23:58:54 MDT 2002

Well, if you've been following the Debian-DHCP thread, you know I've
finally got DHCP working on one of my Linux boxes, and expect to have it
working on the other shortly. But this solution creates a new problem:

I very often transfer files between my Linux boxes using scp &/or rsync.
Up until now I've been doing that, and other things like ssh-ing, based
on IP addresses. Since I've been starting networking manually for some
time, for all practical purposes these machines have had fixed IP
addresses. But with DHCP working, I can't count on the IP addresses, so
I want to be able to access machines by hostname.

So my question is: what is the simplest way to enable Linux boxes on a
small network to find each other by hostname?

mgushee at havenrock.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.

                            --Lao Tzu (Peter Merel, trans.)