[CLUE-Tech] Home network question

David Snyder SnyderD-Lists at snydersweb.com
Fri Oct 18 23:13:14 MDT 2002

I run a DHCP server on my small LAN and it's VERY valuable!  If my dad/a
guest/et al brings their computer over, all they have to do is just
connect the network cable and they're ready to go.  Otherwise I'd have
to fool with IP addresses, gateways, subnet masks, DNS's, etc.

Don't get me wrong, there are some uses for going static IP, but I would
reserve that for servers and other machines where an IP address change
would present problems.

For the gamers out there, a DHCP server just makes life *so* much easier
to host a LAN party... I can say in the old days I remember fooling with
monolithic IPX drivers and IPXODI drivers over coax nics - it took 2-3
hours just to set the damn thing up!  Life has gotten so much easier
since then...

David