[CLUE-Tech] Home network question

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Sat Oct 19 19:37:03 MDT 2002

On Friday 18 October 2002 07:32 am, Adam A. G. Shamblin wrote:
> At this point in a conversation about dhcp, I usually ask why it is
> necessary to run dhcp on such a small network.  On my own network, where
> every machine ultimately offers some sort of service, I never saw dhcp as
> useful beyond an academic exercise.

I agree - it's generally simpler to assign IP addresses manually if your LAN
only has a few computers.  However, I use DHCP and here's why --> My AT&T
broadband is connected to a hardware router/firewall combo.  This box has a
DHCP server running on it.  So, all of the devices on my LAN, including work
laptops that get plugged in when we work from home easily get onto the LAN.

Jeff
--
    Planet Earth (tm)
http://jefferycann.com/