[CLUE-Tech] minicom

Dale Hawkins dhawkins at cdrgts.com
Tue Oct 22 11:27:15 MDT 2002

Keith Hellman <kehellman at yahoo.com> writes:

> I'm not a minicom expert, and I usually use it for direct connections, but
> IIRC:
> - minicom doesn't send anything to your modem till you tell it to - so I
>   wonder why your modem is jabbering away at nothing...

I am not sure about this.  minicom will send some initialization stuff
at startup.  the -o option should disable that.

minicom -o /dev/ttyS0

Now the weird part, the above line does not work as expected; i.e., it
does not attempt to open /dev/ttyS0.  Instead it loads a configuration
file called _dev_ttyS0 (or something similar).  To get the above to
work, first run (as root)

minicom -o -s /dev/ttyS0

Set up the configuration (i.e., Control-a o, set the serial port
settings, yadda, yadda, yadda).

Save the settings as the filename listed (there is a default and a
_dev_ttyS0 option).

Exit minicom.

Now you can run minicom as yourself (assuming permissions are setup
for the device) or as root (though minicom whines about that).  If
you are not talking to a modem, always use the -o option.

IIRC, the 678 like 38400.  Hit enter a number of times to get the
things attention.  The garbage you saw is most certainly baud
mismatch.

-Dale

--
Now playing:
Nothing

Better to have endured moments of sheer terror, than to have died having
lived life a coward.

A good solution now is better than a perfect solution tomorrow.
- From debian-curiosa

Payin' the bills with my mad programming skills.
- Weird Al