[CLUE-Tech] minicom

Keith Hellman kehellman at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 19 16:06:18 MDT 2002

On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 08:18:07PM +0000, Jason S. Friedman wrote:
> I'm having trouble connecting to my 678 modem.  When I start up minicom,
> I see this on my screen:
>
> Welcome to minicom 2.00.0

> Compiled on Feb 26 2002, 09:38:06.
>
> Press CTRL-A Z for help on special keys
>
> .x<à.x<à.x<à
>

> Here's my /etc/minirc.dfl:
> # Machine-generated file - use "minicom -s" to change parameters.
> pr port             /dev/ttyS0
> pu mdropdtr         0
> pu rtscts           No
>
> I've searched high-and-low on the 'net for information and found almost
> nothing.  I'm pretty sure I'm plugged into the right serial port -- when
> I plug into the other one I do not get the ".x<à.x<à.x<à" line.

A more valid test would be to unplug the modem from the serial line and
see if you don't get the ".x<..."

I'm not a minicom expert, and I usually use it for direct connections, but
IIRC:
- minicom doesn't send anything to your modem till you tell it to - so I
  wonder why your modem is jabbering away at nothing...
- minicom is set up (out of the box) with, I believe, standard hayes
  control sequences - are you sure your modem is compatible with these?
- be sure your not using a win modem, a search for 'winmodem linux' will
  provide plenty of explanation

Just some random thoughts.
--
Keith Hellman                             #include <disclaimer.h>
kehellman at yahoo.com               from disclaimer import standard