[CLUE-Tech] Possibly Simple Question

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Mon Sep 16 10:42:18 MDT 2002

* DUSTIN MATTHEW CAMPBELL (dmcampbe at ouray.cudenver.edu) wrote:
> I just tried to install two minmalistic Distros, Gentoo and Crux.  Each
> time I can get them to install succeefully and after I reboot to try them
> out for the first time, the kernal will load and the start up scripts will
> run.  However, once the login prompt is shown I get no response from the
> keyboard.  I thought it was the keybard map set in rc.conf but I have that
> set to "us" so I don't think that is the problem.  I also made sure that a
> root password is set and created another user.  Tried to minimize
> local.start and rc.conf to narrow the proble but no help thus far.

Did you build these kernels yourself?  It is possible to disable console
access in the kernel.  The keyboard would then fail to work, but I think
the display will go to.  Nobody ever does this, really, but I know it
can be done becuase I have done it when building kernels that will only
be accessed via the serial line.

Under "Character Devices" you would need to make sure "Virtual Console"
is enabled.  That seems like a long shot, but I can't think of much
else.  The keyboard just works, in my experience.

Have access to another machine?  Can you telnet/ssh in?

Tim