[CLUE-Tech] rcp

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Mon Sep 16 14:19:47 MDT 2002

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 02:55:40PM -0500, Michael J. Hammel wrote:

> Don't know if this helps, but I used to use the r* commands too, but
> gave up trying to get them working with modern Linux distros.
> Eventually I found that using "rsync -e ssh" worked just as well for
> remote copies.

"Just as well"? Surely you jest. Rsync is the greatest!

But what I wanted to say was that if you plan to use rsync on a regular
basis, you can set the environment variable RSYNC_RSH=ssh . That way you
can just type

    rsync

instead of

    rsync -e ssh

CVS also has CVS_RSH; maybe some other programs have similar environment
variables.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA