[CLUE-Tech] CD Writer for Linux/Windows

Dave Price davep at kinaole.org
Fri Sep 20 02:40:33 MDT 2002

On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 10:42:38PM -0600, Kevin Cullis wrote:

> Any other suggestions?

Kevin,

If portability is not a concern, I would go with a scsi card and
internal scsi (plextor / yamaha) burner.  You will have an easier time
setting it up, have great reliablility, and save a bundle over any
portable solution.

If you really want to go external - I would still go scsi.  I have
a like-new adaptec pcmcia scsi card I could sell you for the laptop;
it will even run under linux with a bit of work and runs great with
windows.

You could save a bit on an external solution by buying a good quality
drive and getting an enclosure online from someplace like:

Cables Online: http://shop.store.yahoo.com/cablesonline/index.html

I have bought from them with good success.

With an Internal drive, when you need to burn windows files, just
upload them to your linux server, or .... what I do is share the
windows folder i want to burn, mount it, and build the .iso accross
the LAN - works great.

aloha,
dave