[CLUE-Tech] CD Writer for Linux/Windows

Kevin Cullis kevincu at orci.com
Thu Sep 19 22:42:38 MDT 2002

Chris,

Chris K Chew wrote:

> >Kevin wrote:
> >I'm in a time crunch and I'd like to purchasea CD writer that will work
> >on Linux and Windows 98. While ATAPI will work in a box, my wife has a
> >laptop that I need to work with.  Any suggestions as to what and how I
> >can have things done by Monday?  My wife needs to download some files
> >off of her network drive at work (she's an independent contractor and
> >can take the files off since they are hers)
>
> Kevin, it sounds like you need her to be able to burn the disk at work on
> monday.  Is that correct?  If so, then an external scsi burner might be your
> only option.  I have seen adaptec scsi pcmcia cards, but have never tried
> one.  Pricewatch says the combo will cost $150 to $300, plus a pci scsi card
> for your box.

The problem is one of incompetence: they've locked the server doors and
won't let anyone get in.  So, the only option is to download from the
server on to her internal HD, CD burner, Zip, or something else.  While
I don't know how much she'll require, I would guess it would be less
than 650Mb, but I won't know until tomorrow.

> Is it possible to zip or iso what she needs and upload it to home or a 3rd
> place?  Or even bring it home on her laptop?  If so, you could just get a
> scsi pci card and internal burner and save a considerable amount of money.
> I like tekram cards and plextor burners, and have used them in both linux
> and windows.

Yes, she can download the files to her HD, but it would have to be
temporary 'cause she won't have enough room to do work.  Then I could
use SAMBA to hook up and download to my Linux HD for file storage until
she needs it again.  That would be the no cost solution, but HD do fail
and that would mean I would HAVE to get a CD writer for my Linux machine
to write her files to a CD for her backup.  Hmmmmm....  We'll have to
think more about this one.

Any other suggestions?