[CLUE-Tech] CD Writer for Linux/Windows

Chris K Chew chris at fenetics.com
Thu Sep 19 22:15:29 MDT 2002

>Kevin wrote:
>I'm in a time crunch and I'd like to purchasea CD writer that will work
>on Linux and Windows 98. While ATAPI will work in a box, my wife has a
>laptop that I need to work with.  Any suggestions as to what and how I
>can have things done by Monday?  My wife needs to download some files
>off of her network drive at work (she's an independent contractor and
>can take the files off since they are hers)

Kevin, it sounds like you need her to be able to burn the disk at work on
monday.  Is that correct?  If so, then an external scsi burner might be your
only option.  I have seen adaptec scsi pcmcia cards, but have never tried
one.  Pricewatch says the combo will cost $150 to $300, plus a pci scsi card
for your box.

Is it possible to zip or iso what she needs and upload it to home or a 3rd
place?  Or even bring it home on her laptop?  If so, you could just get a
scsi pci card and internal burner and save a considerable amount of money.
I like tekram cards and plextor burners, and have used them in both linux
and windows.

Winimage is a nice windows program that creates iso files for burning.
Hope this helps,

Chris