[CLUE-Tech] MPU 401

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Sun Sep 22 01:10:30 MDT 2002

I have an AOpen AW37 Pro sound card, and I want to see if I can get its
MIDI interface working (assuming it has one, which isn't totally clear).
The card is based on the CS4235 chipset, so it uses the cs4232 driver.
It looks as though the key to getting MIDI to work may be to (compile
and) load the mpu401 module. But looking at the kernel config help I
see:

  However, some natively supported cards have their own driver for
  MPU401.  Enabling this MPU401 option with these cards will cause a
  conflict.

and there's no mention of MPU401 in

  /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sound/CS4232

However, the sound card manual has tables showing IO addresses and IRQs,
and each of those tables has a separate line for "MPU-401 UART mode MIDI
interface." I'm not really sure how to interpret that, but it suggests
that the MPU401 module should do something.

Anybody know anything about this? I suppose it wouldn't hurt to
try--except that I would have to compile a new kernel and modules, and
I'd rather not go to the trouble unless I'm pretty sure it will work.

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA
mgushee at havenrock.com