[CLUE-Tech] CD Writer for Linux/Windows

Kevin Cullis kevincu at orci.com
Mon Sep 23 10:05:43 MDT 2002

David,

David Anselmi wrote:

> Kevin Cullis wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm in a time crunch and I'd like to purchasea CD writer that will work
> > on Linux and Windows 98. While ATAPI will work in a box, my wife has a
> > laptop that I need to work with.  Any suggestions as to what and how I
> > can have things done by Monday?  My wife needs to download some files
> > off of her network drive at work (she's an independent contractor and
> > can take the files off since they are hers)
>
> Sounds like you don't really have a need for burning CDs from the laptop
> on the road.  That being the case, get a burner for your Linux box.  You
> can transfer files from other boxes to it on your home network and burn
> all your CDs in the same place.  That will be cheapest, but try to be
> clear and specific about your requirements so you get what you actually
> need.

Yep, this is what I thought would be the best and cheapest route to
take.  The potential for using a CD burner is minimal, at least at
first.

> For your Linux box, get whatever is easiest.  If it has SCSI, you can
> look at that.  If it doesn't, just get an ATAPI burner.  Think about
> where you will put it (open drive bay and IDE controller connection).
> IME, burning at 8x from a CDROM to a CDR on the same IDE controller will
> result in buffer underruns, which seem not to be a problem on new
> burners.  YMMV.

I don't have SCSI in my box currently and I have 3 open bays to place it
in and just have the one CDROM.

> SCSI and ATAPI work equally well, I think.  Obviously SCSI's bus works
> better, but in practice that isn't worth adding SCSI to a system that
> doesn't already have it.  Read the CD writing howto and it will get you
> going on what modules get used for either type of burner.
>
> Dave

Yep, I've seen it but will read it with your experience in mind.

Primarily I'll use the CD burner to backup my wife's and my files, but
on the other hand, I might want to burn my own CDs from purchased CD and
getting rid of the songs I don't like ;-).  The first part is essential
and the later for the next "phase" of working it.

Thanks for the info and help.

Kevin