[CLUE-Tech] crontab not working

Ski Dawg skidawg at plbb.net
Wed Sep 25 14:53:39 MDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-09-25 at 12:44, Randy Arabie wrote:
> Make sure your version of cron has not implemented a "cron.allow" or something
> similar in /etc/.  I use Gentoo Linux, and users cannot use cron unless listed
> (one user/line) in an /etc/cron.allow file.
>
> The cron manpage should mention this, probably at the end, and there should be
> a reference to files in the "see also" section.
>
> HTH
> --
> Allons Rouler!
>
> Randy

The man page mentions that cron.allow and cron.deny can be used, but
don't have to be. It says that if cron.allow exists, then only users
listed in that file can use cron. If cron.allow doesn't exist, then any
user except those listed in cron.deny can use cron. If neither file
exists, then any user that has a crontab file will have it execute.

On my system, neither file exists, so it should be running, but isn't
for some reason.

Thanks for the suggestion. Any other ideas?

--
Doug

Registered Linux User #285548
http://counter.li.org
Random Thought:

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
		-- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"