[CLUE-Tech] crontab not working

Randy Arabie rrarabie at arabie.org
Wed Sep 25 15:15:02 MDT 2002

On 25 Sep 2002, Ski Dawg wrote:

> The man page mentions that cron.allow and cron.deny can be used, but
> don't have to be. It says that if cron.allow exists, then only users
> listed in that file can use cron. If cron.allow doesn't exist, then any
> user except those listed in cron.deny can use cron. If neither file
> exists, then any user that has a crontab file will have it execute.
>
> On my system, neither file exists, so it should be running, but isn't
> for some reason.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. Any other ideas?

Not off-hand.  Will cron jobs for any other users work?

Someone mentioned environment variables...have you verified them?  I recall
that your cron job is running a script.  You could source your .profile and/or
your .bashrc in that script to ensure the cron job will have the same
environment you do when you run the script at the command line.  That shouldn't
be necessary, as understood the idea of cron was to run jobs "as the user" to
whom the job belongs.

--
Allons Rouler!

Randy