[CLUE-Tech] crontab not working

Ski Dawg skidawg at plbb.net
Wed Sep 25 15:52:15 MDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-09-25 at 15:15, Randy Arabie wrote:
> On 25 Sep 2002, Ski Dawg wrote:
>
> Not off-hand.  Will cron jobs for any other users work?

Currently there is only 2 users on the system (skidawg and root, and I
am both). I tried doing a crontab -e as root and putting the same things
in there. It is not being run as root either.

It seems like for some reason that /var/spool/cron directory is not
being checked for crontab files. If it is checking them, then the cron
daemon is not performing anything in them. I tried restarting the cron
daemon, and it restarted with no problems, but it didn't seem to fix the
problem.

> Someone mentioned environment variables...have you verified them?  I recall
> that your cron job is running a script.  You could source your .profile and/or
> your .bashrc in that script to ensure the cron job will have the same
> environment you do when you run the script at the command line.  That shouldn't
> be necessary, as understood the idea of cron was to run jobs "as the user" to
> whom the job belongs.

I am not using any environment variables in my script (at least none
that I know of). To make sure it wasn't an environment issue, I added
this line to the crontab file, and it didn't work either:

* * * * * date >> /home/skidawg/date.txt $$

The file /home/skidawg/date.txt exists (because I created an empty one),
but nothing is getting appended into it.

--
Doug

Registered Linux User #285548
http://counter.li.org
Random Thought:

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose.
		-- William Shakespeare, "The Merchant of Venice"