[CLUE-Tech] Linuxconf replacement?

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Thu Sep 26 21:36:03 MDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-09-26 at 16:21, David Eckhardt wrote:
> CLUE,
>
> I have RedHat 7.3 installed on my system and I have been
> reading through my RHCE book trying to learn this stuff
> when I come across a section that says launch linuxconf
> as a gui interface by typing llinuxconf.  Well this does
> not work.  I check with RedHat and they removed linuxconf
> from the 7.3 distribution.  Does anyone know what linuxconf
> was replaced by?  Maybe a web interface or different program?
> If it was not then let me know the easiest way to get it back
> so I can administer my play box.

Hi David,

Linuxconf didn't get replaced by a single program.  Rather, its
been replaced by a suite of programs that accomplish the same
functions and use names such as:

  redhat-config-users
  redhat-config-date
  redhat-config-time
  redhat-config-printer-gui
  etc...

You can access these programs by either typing their names on
the command line or by using the Gnome or KDE "start" buttons
and following the menus such as:

  "Start button" --> System --> big list of config/setup programs

hth,
Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:  ed at eh3.com,  ehill at mines.edu
Division of ESE            |  URLs:   http://www.eh3.com
Colorado School of Mines   |    http://cesep.mines.edu/people/edhill.php
Golden, CO  80401          |  Phone:  303-273-3483    Fax: 303-273-3311