[CLUE-Tech] the ongoing search for an exchange replacement

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Tue Apr 1 11:52:15 MST 2003

On Tue, 01 Apr 2003 11:11:08 -0700
Mike Staver <staver at fimble.com> wrote:

> I would like to get some opinions on your favorite mail/calendar servers
> available for linux.  I know a church that I've offered to do some
> network/server work for since they can't afford to actually hire
> somebody to come in, and it probably goes without saying that they won't
> want to shell out cash for Windows 2000 server and Exchange 2000 as
> well.  Everybody in their church office uses Outlook, and wants access
> to the standard calendar stuff that exchange offers.  I've heard about
> various Ximian projects, like Evolution.  But, from what I understand,
> evolution is simply the client that allows access for a linux box to
> connect to an exchange server. I'm wanting to do the reverse of this,
> have the linux box be the server and host the mail/calendar.  Does
> anyone know of a good server project that I could try?

I have no personal experience, but here's what I've heard of.

SuSe OpenExchange: some comments and links on Slashdot

http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/03/28/0344218&mode=nested&tid=143
(The Slashdot comments mention some other alternatives.)

http://www.suse.com/us/business/products/suse_business/openexchange/index.html

Communigate:

http://www.stalker.com/CommuniGatePro/

Newsforge article about CommunigatePro:

http://newsforge.com/newsforge/02/10/03/2216217.shtml?tid=30

Then, there's Bynari:

http://www.bynari.net/

There was an article in a recent Linux[Journal|Magazine] about Bynari.

None of these are free.

Groupware type apps, especially the shared calendar stuff, seem to be the
biggest barrier to OpenSource deployment.

HTH
jed
--
I wouldn't even think about bribing a rottweiler with a steak that
didn't weigh more than I do. -- Jason Earl