[CLUE-Tech] PPP Modules and Kernel Building

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Tue Apr 1 14:42:47 MST 2003

On Tue, 01 Apr 2003 13:32:51 -0700
David Anselmi <anselmi at americanisp.net> wrote:

> Jed S. Baer wrote:
> [...]
> >
> >   modprobe: Can't locate module ppp-compress-21
> >   modprobe: Can't locate module ppp-compress-26
> >   modprobe: Can't locate module ppp-compress-24
>
> Don't know much about PPP... (catch the tune?)

Don't know much modprobity.
But I know that I can use the source.
And I know that it will build of course.
What an Open Source world it will be.

Hey, don't groan. It's better than ...

http://www.jwz.org/why-cooperation-with-rms-is-impossible.au

Yes, that's RMS singing. (You've been warned.)

> Here's some stuff in a modules.conf I once saw:
>
> alias ppp-compress-21 bsd_comp
> alias ppp-compress-24 ppp_deflate
> alias ppp-compress-26 ppp_deflate

Yeah, tried that. Didn't work. The key, I'm pretty sure, is getting the
modules built right. It appears I might have to edit
/usr/src/linux/.config directly, and just turn things on. I truly hate
hacking the kernel build that way, cuz I figure Alan Cox understands this
stuff better than I do. Fortunately, kernel compiles have become a rather
mundane thing these days, and the worst that can happen is I wind up
testing my latest emergency boot disk. ;-)

jed
--
I wouldn't even think about bribing a rottweiler with a steak that
didn't weigh more than I do. -- Jason Earl