[CLUE-Tech] Total newbie here....it's not easy being green ;)

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Sun Apr 6 15:19:52 MDT 2003

On Sun, 06 Apr 2003 20:11:18 +0000
"e z" <edszr at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> My name is Ed and I'm just getting into Linux a bit.  I have 2 questions
>
> that I would appreciate any help with:
>
> 1)I read somewhere that Linux will work on older equipment, and I was
> hoping someone could tell me if my old machine would be adequate or not.
>  It's an
> old Gateway with a 1Gb hard drive, Pentium 100 with either 128 or 256
> memory.

I've heard of problems getting newer versions of RedHat to install on
systems with small memory. Dunno what's up with that though. FWIW,
consider that my first Linux install was on a P133/32MB system, using
RH5.1. Also consider that Knoppix is a linux-on-CD distribution -- i.e
it's complete and only about 700MB. I read someplace recently that it's
compressed, but even so, you can get a lot of stuff onto 1GB. I wouldn't
expect stellar performance from the Gnome or KDE desktops. I'd guess you
could get acceptable X performance using IceWM, BlackBox, Fvwm, or one of
the other window managers which doesn't require Gnome or KDE. Or, you
could just not run X at all. Depends on what you want to do with the box.

You might find this article helpful:

http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT3231767129.html

--
I wouldn't even think about bribing a rottweiler with a steak that
didn't weigh more than I do. -- Jason Earl