[CLUE-Tech] Total newbie here....it's not easy being green ;)

Joe Linux joelinux at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 6 18:20:31 MDT 2003

Not to set off a religious war, but I would suggest you go with Mandrake
9.1 and install it on your bigger machine.  Mandrake has a very good
partitioning tool which will help you greatly.  Also I think at this
point in time Mandrake is easier for someone just starting out.  The
people who like Red Hat seem to be people who have been using it for
several years and sort of learned the hard way from the beginning.  My
feeling is that at this point in time the Red Hat GUI system tools
aren't as complete as Mandrake's so you might be wanting to do
something, and you can't find it in the Red Hat control center only to
learn that it's not there yet and you have to do it through command
line.  This doesn't bother the old time users because that's how they
learned to do it in the first place.  Also I do prefer Mandrake's
partitioning tool better than Red Hat's, but in the end they do the same
thing.  I have installed Red Hat several different times, but never
ended up using it.  My choices are Mandrake, then Libranet.  SuSE can be
very good if it happens to install on your particular hardware.