[CLUE-Tech] xmodmap and ksh

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Tue Apr 22 19:23:38 MDT 2003

Jim Ockers wrote:
> Jeff,
>
> If you figure it out, let me know.  I've tried to map the Backspace
> key to emulate the CTRL-H keypress sequence on several different
> occasions using xmodmap.  I have never succeeded, perhaps due to the
> limitation you describe below.

Google says this will do it:

xmodmap -e "keycode 22 = BackSpace"

but I guess you must have tried that.

[...]
>>So, I was thinking I can remap ESC+\ to tab using
>>xmodmap.  But, after reading the man page examples on
>>xmodmap, I'm not sure I can map a single key to two
>>key sequential key strokes.  Is this true?  If not,
>>could someone post an example?

Does this help:

"Does ksh support file name completion?

Yes, it does.  The default key binding is <ESC><ESC>
however, starting with the 'g' point release, <TAB> also works
for completion.  Note, the vi users need to set -o viraw
in order to get <TAB> completion to work."

 From the faq at kornshell.com.  There also seems to be a way to do "key
binding" but it looks harder than the readline way.