[CLUE-Tech] xmodmap and ksh

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Tue Apr 22 17:35:50 MDT 2003

Jeff,

If you figure it out, let me know.  I've tried to map the Backspace
key to emulate the CTRL-H keypress sequence on several different
occasions using xmodmap.  I have never succeeded, perhaps due to the
limitation you describe below.

The eXceed for Windows X server will let you map multiple keystrokes
to a key, so this works under windows.  It may be that XF86 xmodmap is
not the right tool for this job, even though it seems like it should
be able to do something like this.

Do you use Sun's X server as well as a Sun X client?  Or are you
displaying Sun X clients on an XFree86 server?

--Jim

PS Flame war alert.  Let me just say that ^H is the One True BackSpace
character, and ^? should be relegated to the Delete key.  All terminals
and sttys should expect ^H as the delete (backspace) character.  Anyone who
believes otherwise is a heretic.  For ever and ever, amen.  :) :)  The
nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from...

--
Jim Ockers (ockers at ockers.net)
Contact info: please see http://www.ockers.net/