[CLUE-Tech] Poor man's Ghost?

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Wed Apr 23 15:02:12 MDT 2003

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 14:34:28 -0600
"Matt Gushee" <mgushee at havenrock.com> wrote:

> I'm wondering if it is feasible, using some Linux distribution or
> other on a floppy or two or three, to:
>
>   1. Boot up a machine and connect it to a LAN;
>   2. Mount a network drive; and
>   3. Create an image of a local partition on the network drive
>       i.e., something like:
>
>         $ dd if=/dev/hda of=/network/drive/hda1.img
>
> In case you're curious why, I want to copy my wife's Win98 system to
> a new hard disk. The machine is a laptop, so we can't readily install
> another HD alongside the existing one. And we have the product
> recovery CD, but it's not bootable, and the boot floppy seems to be
> in a box in her parents' barn in northern Japan.
>
> Has anyone done something like this?

Nope, but since you imply that the laptop will boot from CDROM, I'd guess
Knoppix would allow you to do this.

I'd suggest the Slackware-Live bootable CD, but IIRC you're a Debian fan.
;-)

The other possibility, is you can use a regular PC, and but both HD's in
it (with some other HD as the main drive to boot from). You've probably
thought of that, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

I guess you've probably already looked at the mfr's site for a floppy boot
image?

jed
--
I wouldn't even think about bribing a rottweiler with a steak that
didn't weigh more than I do. -- Jason Earl