[CLUE-Tech] Poor man's Ghost?

bof bof at pcisys.net
Wed Apr 23 13:28:26 MDT 2003

Jed S. Baer wrote:

>Nope, but since you imply that the laptop will boot from CDROM, I'd guess
>Knoppix would allow you to do this.
>
>I'd suggest the Slackware-Live bootable CD, but IIRC you're a Debian fan.

There's also a couple of other bootable CD options.

I've used the LinuxCare CD

    http://lbt.linuxcare.com/index.epl

and the LNX-BBC CD

    http://www.lnx-bbc.org/

with some success, and there is also a bootable Red Hat 7.3 recovery CD at

    ftp://ftp.redhat.de/pub/rh-addons/rescue-cd/

All of these are small (pocket-sized)CD's that contain most of the tools
need for system recovery on them, so they're somewhere around 30 - 50 MB
in size and thus faster to download than Knoppix or the Slackware-Live CD.

It's been a while since I used these, but I believe that the RH version
will mount Windows 98/NT disks. You may have to experiment ....

BOF