[CLUE-Tech] more ssh issues

Mike Staver staver at fimble.com
Mon Apr 28 10:23:51 MDT 2003

> On Mon, 2003-04-28 at 09:53, Mike Staver wrote:
> > I'm only using 512 megs of ram on this box, but it could be faulty memory
> > I suppose.  The motherboard would be my first fear though, it's revision 1
> > of the first dual AMD boards to hit the market, so even with the bios
> > being up to date, I'm sure it's full of bugs.  I guess that's what I get
> > for always trying stuff when it first comes out!
>
> Oh man... I NEVER buy first-gen stuff. Aside from the buggy-ness, you
> can guarantee that the second and third-gen stuff will be much cheaper
> as well...
>
> Kind of like processors -- never, ever buy the fastest or second-fastest
> processor that's on the market. The performance differential between the
> third and fourth-fastest processors and the first or second isn't that
> great, and the difference in price is huge. I'm shopping around for a
> faster AMD chip for my main desktop box right now, the fastest AMD chip
> out right now is the 3000 (I think) and it runs at least $320, but you
> can find the 2600 for half of that.
>
> I should probably just wait until the Athlon-64s are out, but they won't
> be out until September, and I won't touch them until they've been out at
> least three or four months.

Yeah, I never buy the latest cpus - for example, I just stuck dual 1000
MPs in this board, rather than springing for the fastest MPs on the
market.  But as for the board, I've been waiting for a dual-AMD solution
since the K6, so I had to have it right away :)  I'll probably just try to
replace it with another board and pitch this one.

 --
				-Mike Staver
				 staver at fimble.com
                                 mstaver at globaltaxnetwork.com