[CLUE-Tech] Linux Newbie Help search

John Rosing rosingj at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 27 17:18:16 MDT 2003

I am a seasoned user of ms computer products for the past 30 years
starting with Radio Shack TRS80. I have currently installed a downloaded
linux (9.0) from Red Hat on a partition with my Windows ME on an AMD 1.5
gig processor and connected with a broad band server with Sprint wireless.

Although my knowledge of DOS and Windows is quite adequate, the same is
woefully inadequate for Linux. I have been able to use Linux to surf the
net but find that my 400+ bookmarks on Windows are not available to me
on Linux.

Primary Question: How do I transfer my book marks from ms ME to Linux?

My subordinate questions:

1) How do I get a "black screen" (equivalent to Dos prompt) from the
Linux window? (when I used a command line in the pannel, entered a
command and then hit enter, nothing happened and my typed line wiped out.)

2) How do I configure (mount) my dos partitions so that I can see them
in Linux without disturbing their content for dos use? (during the
instalation process I mounted the dos partitions as "/dosC" and "/dosE",
  but they are not visible in the file manager.)

3) How do I archive the "bookmark" directory (import, export, convert)?
so that it is useful in godzilla or netscape on Linux

4) How do I communicate between computer 1 (in Linux mode) with computer
2 in ms ME mode through my existing hub? The internet connection through
the hub to the Sprint wireless modem worked automatically. When both
computers are in ms ME mode they communicate seamlessly with each other.

I really would like to receive some help because Linux seems to have
some advantages over ms and I would like to explore these.

If for some reason you can not e-mail me I would appreciate a local
phone call at 303-850-9246.

Thank you ever so much for any help you can give.

John Rosing