[CLUE-Tech] installing mysql on Redhat 8.0

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Mon Apr 28 13:23:03 MDT 2003

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 12:37:19 -0600 (MDT)
Mike Staver <staver at fimble.com> wrote:

> I'd like to throw in my 2 cents here.  I've been a huge Red Hat fan
> since 1997, and that's been my distro of choice.  So, knowing that...
>
> On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, Ed Young wrote:
>
> > locate yields no occurrence of the libmysqlclient.so.10 and neither
> > does find!
>
> I generally use rpmfind.net to locate missing libraries and such.  Have
> you tried that yet?  I find it very useful.

Just to be clear here, Ed already has the rpm files.
http://www.rpmfind.net/ and http://www.freshrpms.net/ are both nice
resources for finding rpm files, and downloading them. But let's not
confuse web resources with local directory search operations.

> > I ran rpm -qli mysql and it returned with a bunch of files in
> > locations that do not exist on this system. Does it query some
> > database that may or may not reflect the reality of this system?
>
> It sounds like you're having some of the same issues I was having with
> 8.0.  It's like files just started disappearing from my drive.  I could
> run a locate on a file, and it would spit out the location of something,
> and I'd go to find it - but it wasn't there. I would run "updatedb", and
> then run locat again, and it would no longer be spit out in the search
> results.

Just remember that the results of the locate command are accurate only as
of the last time the locate database was updated. Note that on a RH
system, that happens daily, via the /etc/cron.daily/slocate.cron job. So,
if you're in the middle of doing removes/installs/updates, or just
finished, the locate database won't reflect the state of the system until
2AM or so, when the cron job runs again.

FWIW, I usually re-run the slocate and makewhatis commands after
installing or removing software, just so that command such as "man -k"
return proper results for the rest of my day.

  If you've been following my "ssh issues" thread, I had assumed

> this was due to faulty hardware, but I may have been wrong.  I haven't
> reinstalled ssh yet to see if that fixes it, but the last time I did
> reinstall ssh, it replaced all the missing files and it worked - until
> now, where it's possible I'm missing files again??
>
> > I  tried to remove the mysql package and got  dependency errors from
> > mysql-server and perl-DBD-MySQL. When I tried to rpm -e mysql-server
> > the rpm call never returned. ctrl-c does nothing to stop it.
> >
> > At this point I'm guessing the rpm "database" system is corrupted
> > (Berkely DB?).
> >
> > For the record, this is a system that has been unadulterated by the
> > installation of any packages other than from the initial install and
> > from up2date and most recently the mysql packages in question that I
> > downloaded from the Redhat site. I've until recently only used to surf
> > the web, and perform the up2date processes that Redhat graciously
> > alerts me to do.
> >
> > I can't conclude anything now except that the package management is
> > whacked on this system, despite the little check mark in the toolbar
> > assuring me I'm"up2date".
> >
> > Is this someone's way of telling me to go back to Debian?
>
> Well, like I said above, I'm a Red Hat fan... but I can't help but think
> 8.0 is riddled with bugs

I don't think you can say that it's riddled with bugs, any more or less
than you can say that about any distro, with the possible exception of
Debian stable. Yes, I've had my share of troubles with RH8.0, but they've
been overwhelmingly configuration issues, not "hard" software failures.

I wouldn't equate an "up2date failed to install some files", problem with
a SEGV, either.

jed
--
I wouldn't even think about bribing a rottweiler with a steak that
didn't weigh more than I do. -- Jason Earl