[CLUE-Tech] installing mysql on Redhat 8.0

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon Apr 28 13:14:04 MDT 2003

>> I ran rpm -qli mysql and it returned with a bunch of files in
>> locations that do not exist on this system. Does it query some
>> database that may or may not reflect the reality of this system?

Mike> It sounds like you're having some of the same issues I was
Mike> having with 8.0.  It's like files just started disappearing from
Mike> my drive.  I could run a locate on a file, and it would spit out
Mike> the location of something, and I'd go to find it - but it wasn't
Mike> there. I would run "updatedb", and then run locat again, and it
Mike> would no longer be spit out in the search results.  If you've

Yeah, locate will show you files as they existed the last time
updatedb was run (by default once a day). So if things changed since
then locate will not show the current files.

Mike> been following my "ssh issues" thread, I had assumed this was
Mike> due to faulty hardware, but I may have been wrong.  I haven't
Mike> reinstalled ssh yet to see if that fixes it, but the last time I
Mike> did reinstall ssh, it replaced all the missing files and it
Mike> worked - until now, where it's possible I'm missing files
Mike> again??

Missing files is very odd. No errors in your logs?

you can run a 'rpm -Va >& rpm.out' and rpm will run a verify on all
the installed packages and tell you what files have been changed/are
missing, etc...

If you run that every day and diff them you should be able to see what
files are disappearing. Do you possibly have a compromised machine?

>> Is this someone's way of telling me to go back to Debian?

Mike> Well, like I said above, I'm a Red Hat fan... but I can't help

Me too. ;) KRUD/RedHat...

Mike> but think 8.0 is riddled with bugs, or you're just as unlucky as
Mike> I appear to be with hardware.  I would like to also mention that
Mike> I installed Red Hat 9 on my home computer, which has always been
Mike> rock solid stable with Windows (any version), which may surprise
Mike> some people.  I've also had Red Hat 7.0, 7.1, 7.2, and 7.3 on
Mike> this machine with no issues.  I did a fresh install of 9 on it
Mike> this weekend, and was very disappointed.  The install went fine,
Mike> up until the very end where I got some kind of kernel panic, and
Mike> was told to add root=/dev/hda2 to the boot params.  I had to run

odd. Do you have any strange or very old hardware in there?

Mike> the install from scratch, and include that in the setup, and the
Mike> install completed and the machine came up for the first time.  I
Mike> was staring to get impressed with the pretty blue curve look and
Mike> feel, and I played around with it for about an hour.  Then I
Mike> hopped on over to redhat.com to download all the latest rpms.  I
Mike> was installing the latest glibc stuff when the rpm -U upgrade
Mike> failed.  I forget the error exactly, but it completely locked up
Mike> my machine.

thats very bad. glibc is the c library that most everything is linked
to. If it fails to upgrade then it will likely mess up the entire
system.

Mike> I had to restart the machine with cntrl-alt-dlte and
Mike> hope for the best.  Unfortunately, instead of seeing a login
Mike> screen like I had hoped, I saw some error messages fly by. I
Mike> don't have the messages here in front of me, but they said
Mike> something about "spawning over and over again, so wait for 5
Mike> minutes".  I let the machine sit for about 20 minutes and
Mike> nothing happened.  So I then thought it meant I should shut it
Mike> down for 5 minutes, and then try agan. I did that, and the same
Mike> stupid thing happened.

yes. Sounds like your glibc is messed up, so nothing will run.
You can fix it possibly by booting from the rescue cd and
re-installing glibc. Or since you probibly didn't have much data on
there yet, it might be easier to re-install.

If you do re-install you should note the exact errors you see. ;)

Mike> So, I'm beginning to turn on Red Hat
Mike> here...

every system has it's share of problems. :)
Use what works for you...

rh9 has been great on my laptop here. Been using it since it came out
with few if any problems.

kevin