[CLUE-Tech] installing mysql on Redhat 8.0

Mike Staver staver at fimble.com
Mon Apr 28 12:37:19 MDT 2003

I'd like to throw in my 2 cents here.  I've been a huge Red Hat fan since
1997, and that's been my distro of choice.  So, knowing that...

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, Ed Young wrote:

> locate yields no occurrence of the libmysqlclient.so.10 and neither does
> find!

I generally use rpmfind.net to locate missing libraries and such.  Have
you tried that yet?  I find it very useful.

> I ran rpm -qli mysql and it returned with a bunch of files in locations that
> do not exist on this system. Does it query some database that may or may not
> reflect the reality of this system?

It sounds like you're having some of the same issues I was having with
8.0.  It's like files just started disappearing from my drive.  I could
run a locate on a file, and it would spit out the location of something,
and I'd go to find it - but it wasn't there. I would run "updatedb", and
then run locat again, and it would no longer be spit out in the search
results.  If you've been following my "ssh issues" thread, I had assumed
this was due to faulty hardware, but I may have been wrong.  I haven't
reinstalled ssh yet to see if that fixes it, but the last time I did
reinstall ssh, it replaced all the missing files and it worked - until
now, where it's possible I'm missing files again??

> I  tried to remove the mysql package and got  dependency errors from
> mysql-server and perl-DBD-MySQL. When I tried to rpm -e mysql-server the rpm
> call never returned. ctrl-c does nothing to stop it.
>
> At this point I'm guessing the rpm "database" system is corrupted (Berkely
> DB?).
>
> For the record, this is a system that has been unadulterated by the
> installation of any packages other than from the initial install and from
> up2date and most recently the mysql packages in question that I downloaded
> from the Redhat site. I've until recently only used to surf the web, and
> perform the up2date processes that Redhat graciously alerts me to do.
>
> I can't conclude anything now except that the package management is whacked
> on this system, despite the little check mark in the toolbar assuring me I'm
> "up2date".
>
> Is this someone's way of telling me to go back to Debian?

Well, like I said above, I'm a Red Hat fan... but I can't help but think
8.0 is riddled with bugs, or you're just as unlucky as I appear to be with
hardware.  I would like to also mention that I installed Red Hat 9 on my
home computer, which has always been rock solid stable with Windows (any
version), which may surprise some people.  I've also had Red Hat 7.0, 7.1,
7.2, and 7.3 on this machine with no issues.  I did a fresh install of 9
on it this weekend, and was very disappointed.  The install went fine, up
until the very end where I got some kind of kernel panic, and was told to
add root=/dev/hda2 to the boot params.  I had to run the install from
scratch, and include that in the setup, and the install completed and the
machine came up for the first time.  I was staring to get impressed with
the pretty blue curve look and feel, and I played around with it for about
an hour.  Then I hopped on over to redhat.com to download all the latest
rpms.  I was installing the latest glibc stuff when the rpm -U upgrade
failed.  I forget the error exactly, but it completely locked up my
machine. I had to restart the machine with cntrl-alt-dlte and hope for the
best.  Unfortunately, instead of seeing a login screen like I had hoped, I
saw some error messages fly by. I don't have the messages here in front of
me, but they said something about "spawning over and over again, so wait
for 5 minutes".  I let the machine sit for about 20 minutes and nothing
happened.  So I then thought it meant I should shut it down for 5 minutes,
and then try agan. I did that, and the same stupid thing happened.  So,
I'm beginning to turn on Red Hat here...