[CLUE-Tech] installing mysql on Redhat 8.0

Ed Young ejy at summitbid.com
Mon Apr 28 12:18:03 MDT 2003

locate yields no occurrence of the libmysqlclient.so.10 and neither does
find!

I ran rpm -qli mysql and it returned with a bunch of files in locations that
do not exist on this system. Does it query some database that may or may not
reflect the reality of this system?

I  tried to remove the mysql package and got  dependency errors from
mysql-server and perl-DBD-MySQL. When I tried to rpm -e mysql-server the rpm
call never returned. ctrl-c does nothing to stop it.

At this point I'm guessing the rpm "database" system is corrupted (Berkely
DB?).

For the record, this is a system that has been unadulterated by the
installation of any packages other than from the initial install and from
up2date and most recently the mysql packages in question that I downloaded
from the Redhat site. I've until recently only used to surf the web, and
perform the up2date processes that Redhat graciously alerts me to do.

I can't conclude anything now except that the package management is whacked
on this system, despite the little check mark in the toolbar assuring me I'm
"up2date".

Is this someone's way of telling me to go back to Debian?