[CLUE-Tech] installing mysql on Redhat 8.0

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Mon Apr 28 11:09:59 MDT 2003

On 28 Apr 2003 03:13:37 -0600
Ed Young <ejy at summitbid.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to get MySQLAdmin and mysql-server installed on a redhat 8
> system but am having installation problems. It seems that the install is
> broken, and many mysql files are missing, or I haven't set mysql up
> correctly.
> [root at gerakina MySQL]# /usr/bin/mysqladmin
> /usr/bin/mysqladmin: error while loading shared libraries:
> libmysqlclient.so.10: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory.
>
> The above shared library doesn't exist on my system and there isn't
> even a /usr/lib/mysql directory...

Sounds like a broken install. I don't use up2date, so I can't even guess
how that might happen. Does up2date save any log information you can look
through?

I'd use the locate command to see if the library is anywhere on the
system. That might be nothing more than just curiosity though, unless
you're OK with running using wherever things wound up. I wouldn't go for
that myself, because it might cause problems later on, when a newer
version installs in the standard location. I doubt the files went to some
other directory though, although I think it's possible to do that with rpm
(using --prefix and/or --relocate), but why would up2date do that?

I guess what I'd try would be to uninstall it using 'rpm -e {package
names}' and then reinstall, but again using 'rpm -i' instead of up2date.

jed

--
I wouldn't even think about bribing a rottweiler with a steak that
didn't weigh more than I do. -- Jason Earl