[CLUE-Tech] installing mysql on Redhat 8.0

Young, Ed Ed.Young at echostar.com
Mon Apr 28 13:42:14 MDT 2003

Ok, I'm feeling better now.

It's possible that I munged the dependencies when I tried to remove the
mysql-server and perl-DBD-MySQL the other night and the command never
returned and I killed the process ungracefully.

My strategy for now will be try to reinstall with

rpm -i --replacepkgs <file list>

And then if that won't work, I'll try to remove and reinstall, provided the
remove command will complete successfully.

I have to admit I'm not rpm savvy (obviously) and am a bit quick to blame it
rather than my lack of savvy. Regardless, I am a bit concerned that the rpm
-e command never returned.

Thanx for the suggestions and tonight when I get home, I'll relax and have a
home brew or some approximation, and I'll try them out.  I'll also be doing
some remedial rpm reading to try learn abit more about it.

I'll report back tomorrow.

Thanx again for the help.

Ed

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 12:18:03 -0600
"Ed Young" <ejy at summitbid.com> wrote:

> I ran rpm -qli mysql and it returned with a bunch of files in
> locations that do not exist on this system. Does it query some
> database that may or may not reflect the reality of this system?

Well, I've never tried -qli. Using 'rpm -qpl {rpm-file-name}' will list the
the files (including full path for installation) in the package. Sounds like
the qli does similar.

I'm not aware that this sort of query does anything but read the rpm
file(s), and print out what's in them.

> I  tried to remove the mysql package and got  dependency errors from
> mysql-server and perl-DBD-MySQL. When I tried to rpm -e mysql-server
> the rpm call never returned. ctrl-c does nothing to stop it.

Yea, you'll have to remove and resinstall dependencies. You can do this with
a single command:

rpm -e mysql mysql-server perl-DBD-MySQL.

Then you can reinstall with the same package list. If you do remove these
three (and any other dependent packages), you'll get some errors along the
lines of 'can't remove {filename}', since the files aren't on your system.

Or, you can try to just reinstall, using:

rpm -i --replacepkgs {list of rpm files}

> At this point I'm guessing the rpm "database" system is corrupted
> (Berkely DB?).

I don't see any evidence of that so far.

> I can't conclude anything now except that the package management is
> whacked on this system, despite the little check mark in the toolbar
> assuring me I'm"up2date".

Well, OK, yes it sounds as if your RPM database doesn't match what's
actually on the disk, but the reinstall might fix that. You might want to
look at the verify functions of the rpm command. I haven't messed with
those, so the man page will give you more info there than I can.

> Is this someone's way of telling me to go back to Debian?

I certainly won't argue that -- either way. There are good/bad reasons for
staying or switching, regardless of what distro one uses. I have no troubles
with MySQL on my current RH8.0 system. And rpm dependency hell isn't
something I can blame on RH right now either. The only dependency problems
I've had recently are just that various packagers either don't document, on
their websites, what the dependencies are, or don't document them properly.
And one case (gmplayer) where the packager goofed in the dependency checks.

jed
--
I wouldn't even think about bribing a rottweiler with a steak that didn't
weigh more than I do. -- Jason Earl