[CLUE-Tech] troubles with red hat install

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Mon Aug 4 09:41:37 MDT 2003

On Mon, 04 Aug 2003 04:38:07 -0600
Charles Oriez <coriez at oriez.org> wrote:

> 1) KPPP issues
>
> Whenever I start KPPP under the user login, it asks for the root
> password.  I want to be able to connect from the user account without
> root access.

There are various things to try. I've never used KPPP, so I'm just
speculating. One thing would be to run KPPP as setuid. Although, reading
these pages indicates it is by default, which goes against their
recommendation of using group permissions, as I don't believe you'd need
to set up a modem users group if KPPP were setuid root. Anyway, try
reading these pages.

http://gershwin.ens.fr/vdaniel/Doc-Locale/Outils-Gnu-Linux/Kde/kppp/kppp-7.html
http://gershwin.ens.fr/vdaniel/Doc-Locale/Outils-Gnu-Linux/Kde/kppp/kppp-8.html#security

> When I dial into my ISP, the connection handshake happens fine.  I'm
> given a dynamic IPA assignment by my ISP.  When I start gftp, I can
> communicate with remote servers by IPA, but both gftp and mozilla won't
> find sites by domain name.  It would appear my dns server connection
> isn't working.  I have KPPP configured for dynamic IP, default gateway
> and assigned default route.  DNS is set to auto configuration with
> domain name blank.  I've tried enabling and disabling dns servers during
> connection (default is enable).

While dialed up. cat /etc/resolv.conf -- you should see a line(s) for the
nameserver(s). If you see one or more listed, try pinging the address(es)
(assuming they're the correct). Although it's my belief that the PPP
daemon should configure these automatically, I don't actually remember
reading that anywhere. It's been a while since I dug into the gory
details. IIRC, I configured those myself (i.e. using vi).

> 3) At boot, can't locate module sound-service-0-0.  whereis confirms
> that it isn't there.

I doubt that whereis will find kernel modules. From it's manpage, I infer
that it uses the PATH and MANPATH for it's searching. Try the 'locate'
command instead. Also. look under
/lib/modules/{kernel-name}/drivers/kernel/{driver type}/

jed