[CLUE-Tech] Two GRUB booting questions

Keith Christian keithchristian at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 13 12:03:15 MDT 2003

Hi Folks,

Having searched Google and Google Groups for an answer and coming up empty,
perhaps someone here has the info I'm looking for.

1. How to issue the individual commands when invoking the command line from
the GRUB splash screen to boot an OS?  Assuming a functional Windows 98 is on
the first partition and a functional RedHat is on the second partition, I have
tried the following:

  # Want to boot Windows 98:
  grub> rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    (GRUB replies "Filesystem type is fat, partition type 0xc")
  grub> chainloader +1
  grub> boot
  # But it doesn't boot either Windows 98 nor RedHat.

2. As an exercise, I'm studying how to recover from an overwritten MBR to
re-enable booting to GRUB.  The scenario is:
  A. Adding RedHat 8.0 to a Windows 98 system
  B. GRUB is able to successfully dual-boot both Windows 98 and RedHat
  C. Boot into Windows 98, type "fdisk /mbr"
  D. Now GRUB is gone from the MBR, Windows 98 boots normally
  E. Next, want to restore GRUB so I boot from CD 1 with "linux rescue"
  F. What's the command to re-install GRUB into the MBR?  I saw this
suggestion on Google Groups but it does not work:
     chroot /mnt/sysimage ; /sbin/grub-install --root-directory=/dev/had

Any ideas on the above appreciated.  GRUB documentation doesn't appear to
address #1 in any level of detail.  It seems it should be possible to type the
commands if the grub.conf file is corrupted (for example) to achieve a quick
boot into the desired OS.

Thanks, All.

=====Keith