[CLUE-Tech] Two GRUB booting questions

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Wed Aug 13 16:54:15 MDT 2003

Keith Christian wrote:
[...]
> 1. How to issue the individual commands when invoking the command line from
> the GRUB splash screen to boot an OS?  Assuming a functional Windows 98 is on
> the first partition and a functional RedHat is on the second partition, I have
> tried the following:
>
>   # Want to boot Windows 98:
>   grub> rootnoverify (hd0,0)
>     (GRUB replies "Filesystem type is fat, partition type 0xc")
>   grub> chainloader +1
>   grub> boot
>   # But it doesn't boot either Windows 98 nor RedHat.

Looks like you missed makeactive before the chainloader +1.  Win98 wants
its boot partition marked active (or bootable).  See:

http://www.gnu.org/manual/grub/html_mono/grub.html#Chain-loading

> 2. As an exercise, I'm studying how to recover from an overwritten MBR to
> re-enable booting to GRUB.  The scenario is:
>   A. Adding RedHat 8.0 to a Windows 98 system
>   B. GRUB is able to successfully dual-boot both Windows 98 and RedHat
>   C. Boot into Windows 98, type "fdisk /mbr"
>   D. Now GRUB is gone from the MBR, Windows 98 boots normally
>   E. Next, want to restore GRUB so I boot from CD 1 with "linux rescue"
>   F. What's the command to re-install GRUB into the MBR?  I saw this
> suggestion on Google Groups but it does not work:
>      chroot /mnt/sysimage ; /sbin/grub-install --root-directory=/dev/had

The grub docs say grub-install is deprecated.  So you boot a grub floppy
(or CD or probably anything that uses grub) and then run setup from the
grub prompt.  See:

http://www.gnu.org/manual/grub/html_mono/grub.html#Installation

HTH,