[CLUE-Tech] Nessus

Evan Widger PsychoI3oy at linkline.com
Fri Aug 15 18:18:25 MDT 2003

black at galaxy.silvren.com wrote:

> Also, what do you think about FreeBSD? I realize this is a Linux site, but
> if anyone has some easy compare/contrast statements about FreeBSD and
> Linux, I'd love to hear them.
>
> Thanks

I can't speak to the nessus issue but I can talk about freebsd. I'll
probably get flamed uo the yin-yang for this but oh well. I have used
redhat 6.x and suse 7.0, the former was my desktop operating system for
several months. my major annoyances were having to find a bunch of
different HOWTO's to figure out how to do anything, and having to
download 30 different packages that all depended on eachother just to
install something new. my understanding was that hey, it's a UNIX-like
operating system, it's supposed to be hard. then several months ago when
i had an inkling to get back into linux a friend recommended freebsd.
thinking he'd be able to help when i was stuck i went ahead and
downloaded the .iso and started installing. the only help he would give
me is to point me at the freeBSD handbook, which is a great reference
manual for doing just about anything in freeBSD. i had to recompile the
kernel to get sound working, the multimedia section told me what to
change in the config and pointed me to the chapter on kernel
recompiling. the ports system is one of the other great things about
freebsd. any program in that system (which is alot, most everything the
average user/administrator would ever need) can be built with the simple
command of 'make install clean' whereby it will automatically download
the source tarballs of the package you need and any packages it depends
on and any packages they depend on etc., and compile and install them in
the correct order such that when it's done you have a working progream.
it's fantastic. the 3td great thing about freeBSD is the linux
compatibility layer. freeBSD should run just about any program written
for linux, without much hassle. alot of the stuff in ports still create
linux binaries but have been set up to install on a freeBSD system. i
personally like the fact that freeBSD isn't just the kernel or distro,
it is the operating system, there's centralized documentation for it and
it's very easy to install and use, even for a relative newbie like me.

i can't think of anything else at the moment but i'd be happy to answer
any other questions, though i'm far from an expert.

-Evan Widger